Friday, March 27, 2009

Ding-Dong

This evening, I drove past the old neighborhood where I used to deliver newspapers. This reminded me of an experience I had while going around to collect payments. I stopped by one house which was always late making payments. The lady I was going to collect from would tell me to come back later. It was later, so I was stopping by.

I rang the doorbell and waited for someone to answer the door. No one did, so I rang the doorbell again. Still no answer so I figured that no one was home. Besides, who doesn't answer the door when someone rings the bell? Anyway, since no one was home I decided to just ring the bell a bunch of times. Ding-Dong. Ding-Dong. Ding-Dong. Ding-Dong. Ding-Dong. Ding-Dong. Over and over. I did this for about a minute or so. Well, low and behold, someone was home and this got their attention. Finally, someone answered the door and said to me, "that is not the way to ring the doorbell. Go back out and ring the bell right." She then closed the door and I rang the doorbell again. She answered the door and asked what I wanted. I told her I was there to collect for the paper and she told me, again, they didn't have any money to pay for the paper.

5 comments:

JMadd said...

Yep, still makes me laugh. You forgot to mention how old you were when this happened.

Karen Decker said...

I'm curious- did she ever pay for the paper?

DontYouWishYouWereUS said...

You are so funny. I lovve your stories.

Chit Chatt said...

I have to admit that I sometimes don't answer the door...

Diane said...

This is the best laugh I've had in a while. Thanks for sharing!