Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Oh, the tangled web of hoops we jump through.

This has to do with my school. I am going into Accounting and have been doing really well. I have also spent most of my life using computers and Microsoft Office. My college, soon to be University, Yea, requires that all business majors take a computer proficiency class, or pay $25 to test out of it if you think you know your stuff. The class is for people who don’t know how to turn a computer on, this is not me. For instance, I use to work at a computer store putting custom computers together for customers. I know what a storage device is.

A short while ago I talked with a counselor to see about not taking the test to “prove” I know what an input device is. She said nothing doing. I had to jump through the hoop to prove to them I knew my stuff, I got a 94% (only needed 80%). Now, that I think of it, it should have been apparent to the school that I am proficient at using the computer because I have taken a computer programming class at that same school. Boy, I wish I would have thought of that one while I was talking with the counselor.

After taking this class, or testing out, the next class is learning about Office 2007: Excel, Access, and PowerPoint. I am taking this class because I would like to learn about Access and PowerPoint (not very proficient with those). My first class was this evening. I really didn’t listen because most of what the instructor talked about was stuff I used everyday; were starting with Excel. I will admit I learned a few new hotkeys, I love hotkeys. I hope to learn a lot more of those.

To end I will say that sometimes we need to jump through hoops to advance forward. We may not like it and we may try to kick and scream. Just jump and get it over with.

1 comment:

JMadd said...

Oh, but don't you like jumping through hoops? It seems awfully fun to me. Even if you don't get anything out of the class, maybe I can become an Excel expert vicariously through you.