Saturday, December 7, 2013

Thanksgiving

With thanksgiving being so recent, I am going to share what thanksgiving was like growing up in a large family. We would all gather at my parent's house. The house was large enough for everyone; however, it would be crowded. Being young and not knowing anything different, this didn't bother me. In fact it was what I was used to, but with more people. It was exciting to me as we would get things ready for our thanksgiving dinner. My mom would always be the one to cook the turkey. And we would all help with everything from peeling potatoes to getting the table set. I liked to take a taste of the food as it was being prepared, but there was always someone there to stop me. My siblings seemed to have a rule that we were not to take tastes before we ate. Because of this I don't have that rule now that I am older. Besides, if we are eating at 2:00 I like to have a little something to tide me over. Well, back to my youth. We would put all of the food on the tables and pass it around so that everyone could get food. This was an efficient way to get food and it was also necessary because we didn't have any room to move around, the tables were too close together to get in and out. We would always have plenty to eat with leftover turkey for sandwiches later. After dinner we would all help with the clean-up, whether we wanted to or not. Once the dishes were washed and put away we would get out the games. One of the games we liked to play was Rook. We would play it all of the time. The game is about bidding for how many points you are going to take. Then each person plays a card in turn, and whomever has the highest card takes the trick. This person then starts the next round. We would stay up late playing games and eating pie. Speaking of pie, my mom would always make sweet potato pie. This is one of my favorites and I don't like pumpkin pie because sweet potato pie is so much better. One problem with pumpkin pie is that most people will put too much spice. I like the milder taste of sweet potato pie. I have gotten my mother's recipe and have been making it for the past few Thanksgivings.  

When younger each Thanksgiving was a lot of people, food, and fun.

No comments: